Monday, December 12, 2022

2022 Fooling Around With Photos

Fooling Around With Photos

Steven B. Zwickel

December, 2022


My Cub Scout pack was running a photography contest, so I took my little plastic camera out to see what I could shoot. I had taken black & white photos before, mostly of squirrels and flowers growing in the back yard. I also took my camera with me on a class trip to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens {I was apparently clever enough to write down the names of my classmates so now, some 50+ years later, I know who they were!}.

       I walked two short blocks from my house without taking a picture. At the intersection I saw fire engines in front of the corner gas station, so I crossed the street (eagerly and carefully waiting for the light to turn green) to see what was going on. Some gas had spilled on the pavement and caught fire. I raised my camera and took two photos of the firefighters at work. One of these won the contest. My prize was a real camera with a flash (meaning I could now take photos indoors). I was hooked on photography.

April, 1960 Brooklyn - Fire at Texaco station


       Over the years I graduated to more sophisticated cameras and my photos got a little better. Twenty years after I took the photo of the fire, I spent a week in Portugal doing nothing but taking pictures. By the end of the week, I was able to think of myself as a real photographer. I took lots of photos, some of which were pretty enough, and meaningful enough, to enlarge and hang on the wall.

       A few years later I got my hands on an Apple computer. I was able to create some interesting graphics, but I never used it with photos.

Bitmap graphic made with Apple II 

       And then I learned to use Aldus [now Adobe] Photoshop. It was great fun altering photos and playing with the different tools. Here are some examples of things I did (when I should have been working). Most of the time, I used my own face to re-create other images.
1995 Photoshop: 'Rock 'n' Roll Grandpa' Steve as Elvis



I joined the Supremes in 2003 with a little help from Photoshop

I put my face in a photo of a 1893 base-ball team

 

Admiral Steven

I also found ways of using Photoshop tools to turn photos into more artistic pictures:

Photo to pencil sketch

Old time baseball card

2009 from photo I took in China

2009 Bonsai photo from Japan

In honor of 50 years after the 'Summer of Love'

Where's my  hair?

Bobblehead

I also played with photos to create interesting covers for the student handbooks used while I taught communication courses.
Me, the Beatles



And I doctored photos and made parodies, sometimes using my dog as a model:


That's me photobombing the middle of Patrick Henry's big speech.



Chinese junk on a Wisconsin lake!

'Dudus Coolis Maximus Stefanus' Gold coin

Finally, I took a perfectly good picture by artist Jim Clements and made it all about me:

Now this ole cowboy is gonna ride off into the sunset!

Sincere apologies to all the artists whose work I mucked up, but it was all in fun.







No comments:

Abandoned

  Abandoned September, 2024 Steven B. Zwickel I never dreamt it would happen to me, but I feel like I have been deserted, abandoned, left o...